Manufacturers of my disks:
* CONNER * In early 1985, Finis Conner left Seagate and founded Conner Peripherals.
The company specialized in small-size disks designed for portable computers.
In 1996, after ten years of operation, Conner Peripherals was taken over by Seagate.
* I B M * already in 1956 built the first commercial hard drive with dimensions not very suitable for a PC or laptop.
IBM and its employees were responsible for inventing both the hard drive and the floppy drive.
They contributed to many improvements of these devices.
IBM probably did not try to be a significant producer of discs for PCs and laptops. The first hard disk in the IBM 5160 "XT Personal Computer" was SEAGATE's ST-412.
IBM always means a good brand of equipment.
* MAXTOR co. * was founded in 1982, although as early as 1981, three former IBM employees, James McCoy, Jack Swartz and Raymond Niedźwiecki, began to look for funds to launch disc production.
The company definitely started in 1983, producing the first disk - Maxtor XT-1140 with a capacity of 140MB (planned 190MB).
In 2000-2001 Maxtor took over the Quantum hard disk division, and in 2006 Maxtor was taken over by Seagate.
Seagate continued selling discs as a separate Maxtor brand.
* SEAGATE * Technology was founded on November 1, 1978 (the first name is Shugart Technology).
The founders of the company were: Alem Shugart, Tom Mitchell, Doug Mahon, Finis Conner and Syed Iftikar.
The company was founded when Conner approached Shugart with the intention of setting up a new company to develop 5.25-inch hard drives that Conner predicted as the forthcoming economic boom on the disk market.
The name was changed to Seagate Technology to avoid lawsuit from the subsidiary Xerox Shugart Associates (also founded by Shugart).
* WESTERN DIGITAL * began its activity as early as 1970 as a semi-midway manufacturer and underestimated the importance of IBM XT computers in the 1980s. Initially, Western Digital focused on providing components on the new PC market also for companies such as IBM, Compaq, Hewlett-Packard and Tandy. In the 90s, WD Caviar hard drives were created, which can be found at Apple, Bull-Zenith, Compaq, Gateway 2000, NEC, IBM and many other computers.
* QUANTUM * Corporation - company founded in 1980. They started with the production of storage devices
data, including tape and disk drives. Until 2001 Quantum was also the main producer of hard drives, usually located in second place for Seagate. In 2000/2001, Quantum sold its hard drive production to Maxtor and now deals in integrated storage systems.